I often get enquiries about my personal lifestyle choices: what exercises I do, what is my beauty routine & products, what supplements do I use, what do I eat, what juicer do I use, etc.
Menopause (and peri-menopause) is a time of life when what used to work for you, no longer does & you have to suddenly find new things that will actually work. You’re using the same skin cream that used to work, but suddenly you have developed very dry, papery thin skin, what moisturiser will help?
So, here is a list I am putting together of my Current Favourites. It will contain everything from exercises, recipes, supplements, food and drinks to, of course, beauty products. Please note this is not medical advice, always consult your doctor for advice. I also do not make any claims that anything listed here is a cure, these things are what I have used and what works for me to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Exercises that I choose from:
- Tai Chi & Qi Gong
- Walking (fast paced)
- Walking (slower paced, with deep breathing, usually out in nature)
- Light jogging (never on concrete, only on a softer surface like grass, I live in Ireland so the ground in usually pretty bouncy from all the rain)
What I eat for breakfast (these are the options I usually choose from):
- Poached egg (free range), with lightly boiled green beans, sprinkled with sea salt, turmeric powder and Kerry Gold butter.
- Sweet potato (cooked overnight in a slow cooker), topped with Kerry Gold butter and sprinkle of cinnamon. I usually get the orange coloured sweet potatoes, but have recently discovered purple coloured sweet potatoes in a local shop-they are lovely!
- Green smoothie. Recipe blend: 1/2 avocado, 1 TBL coconut oil, 1 generous handful of kale & spinach, 1/2 stalk celery, cucumber portion (about 1 inch of a cucumber), 1 tsp chia seeds, 1 dried fig, 1 dried date, 1 dried apricot, 1 TBL collagen powder, 1 apple, 1/2 tsp spirulina powder or chlorella powder, 1 tsp PH Greens powder, mint leaves, add water for desired thickness ( I like mine room temperature, but if you like it cold, you can add ice cubes).
- Plain Greek Yoghurt with 1 tsp chia seeds, berries (choose from blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, blackberry, etc.) sometimes I put a little bit of honey on it too.
- White pudding with salad leaves. I live in Ireland & I love Clonakilty white pudding.
- Miso soup with a poached egg added in to it.
- Sometimes I have a bowl of my homemade chicken soup for breakfast, it’s actually really nice to have for breakfast.
- Bulletproof style coffee- coffee with 2 TBL grassfed unsalted butter and 1 TBL Bulletproof high octane brain cocunut oil: mix all thes in a blender and drink.
Kitchen Gadgets I use:
- Nutribullet smoothie maker
Supplements I take ( I do not take all of these every day):
- Omega 3 Fish Oil. Brand MoreEPA
- Sea Buckthorn Oil-Omega 7. Brand: Quest Vitamins Ltd
- CoQ10 Brand: Nature’s Plus Beyond CQ10
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B complex
- Curcumin (Turmeric)-helps reduce inflammation. Natures Plus brand
- Zinc (when I feel a cold coming on)
- Vitex chasteberry (Agnus Castus) (supports reproductive hormones)
- Black Cohosh (helps with hot flashes)
- Royal Jelly
- Bee pollen- Nua Naturals brand
- Chia Seeds-Chia Bia brand
- Collagen powder (great for skin, hair & nails, also tendons, ligaments, cartilage). Brand: Bulletproof
- Spirulina powder
- Chlorella powder
- PH Greens powder-juiced blend of vegetable & herb powders. Brand -Immunologic
- Digestive enzymes (I take this only when I feel like I am not digesting foods properly)
- Betaine HCL (I take this only when I feel like I am not digesting foods properly)
Beauty Products that I use:
- Facial moisturisers: Nuxe brand- Nuxuriance Ultra, repleneshing rich cream Global anti-ageing. And Elemis brand-Pro-collagen marine Cream
- Facial wash: Simple brand-Water Boost, micellar facial gel wash with minerals and plant extract. And Neutrogena brand-Visibly clear pink grapefruit facial wash.
- Sunscreen for face: Obaji Medical Sun Shield Broad spectrum SPF 50 High Protection
- Sunscreen for body: Garnier Ambre Solaire SPF 50
- Butter London Nail polish-because it does not contain the big toxins
Experiencing menopause issues can leave you feeling frustrated, like you no longer have control over your life & health.
Hi, I’m Linda Ryan, Menopause Acupuncturist: Having overcome my own menopause issues is what drives me to help women like you to achieve the results that I made happen for myself.